View Single Post
Old 17th August 2015, 07:30   #28  |  Link
hello_hello

I'm still runing XP on the PC I use as a media player. I have no particular need to change OS. It works fine. I'm fairly certain the colorimetry info is ignored when using the MPC-HC/EVR combination just as it is with most other renderers. I could use MadVR, but I prefer not to.

I care about colorimetry. It's why,
- I always use rec.601 for SD and rec.709 for HD.
- If I need to correct the colorimetry on playback, I can do it manually with a pixel shader. Or several other ways.

I'm still not clear as to how converting the colours "harms those who are already doing it right" (those using software that obeys the colorimetry, I assume), and in the real world encoded video is rarely only played back using a single device, software or hardware, and my switching to different playback software has no effect on the colorimetry that'll be used by the media player built into the TV in the family room, or the Bluray player connected to the TV in the living room etc. Using a colorimetry which is "most likely" to be displayed correctly seems logical to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
Btw, where is the quote "encoded using a different set of coefficients as used by AviSynth's color conversion routines" coming from? Perhaps i wrote that one day, but it is not in the current (or 2007) documentation.
I'd be guessing "AviSynth's color conversion routines" refer to Avisynth's colour conversions from RGB to YUV etc being rec.601 by default. "Encoded using a different set of coefficients" possibly refers to encoders that always write rec.709 to the video stream, or assume RGB should always be converting using rec.709, so if you want the video to display correctly by a player that obeys the colorimetry info......
Maybe there's no longer encoders like that, but the HCenc encoder is mentioned here:

Color coefficients and Colormatrix usage summary (Q and A)

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th August 2015 at 07:37.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote