View Single Post
Old 8th April 2004, 02:39   #394  |  Link
Tantulus

I'm completely at a loss!

I have been following this thread for several months now and I'm afraid that I'm becoming hopelessly confused.

Part of the problem was that I was unable to download the test files from the newsgroup (I never used one before) nor could I obtain them from donkey2000.

I would appreciate a little hand-holding in my attempts to master converting stereo into surround sound.

Essentially, I am interested in encoding my stereo orchestral CD's into dts. I wish to emulate a symphony or chamber hall with a bit of ambience.

What I have been doing is making an image file of my CD, run it through Bidule and use wav2wav6 to convert the resultant file into 6 mono files and then use softencode to encode into dts. I use Wave2Wave6 because the CD images are usually to large for besweet to handle. I understand that the ultimate result is a matter of taste but I would appreciate some suggestions as to which method will give me a somewhat broad space with a hint of reverb but not to much gain in the rear surround.

I've noticed that most tests were done on vocal or band tracks and I find that with symphonic music I'm swamped with sound from all directions. I've developed quite a coaster collection and I would like to narrow the possibilites a little.

If anyone has experience with orchestral music and has some recommondations as to which methods would be most useful I will be greatly appreciative.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.