View Single Post
Old 10th August 2018, 14:22   #7  |  Link
oldschooltech

Oh boy do i remember DivX, xVid. I use to love making SVcd. VHS quality or tad under on cd was not to bad of deal tho. Now we have HD screens and full quality or near it matters.

I have had it with the streaming companies, rolling my own in home streaming using plex or something else.

I do want the best quality, but I dont want to be stupid and waste 100TB of space. I need to find the first steps, so I can see what sizes stuff will be. rencode to save space and if I need to shot it to the projector I can always pop back in the bluray (would like to do this less often tho). I know avatar may be a pop in the bluray kinda movie.

I only will have about 100 or so movie / tv shows series when im done for now.

1st step: How to get lossless (relative to the source) video and audio to HDD, That can then be used for encodes or used as 1:1 no loss stream.

options I have came up with but not 100% is right:

makmkv to mkv
dvdfab to fulldvd/bluray rip/copy

I still need to listen to some DTS/DD vs the lossless to see if it worth the extra gigs to keep the lossless from bluray.

Man a site that told a person if 1. the bluray is a good upgrade from old dvd ( they rescaned and did not heavily remaster and destroy the film detail like Dragon ball z, or some disney blurays). 2. the Bluray lossless was worth an upgrade. I have this issue right now As I look at dvd vs bluray of speed racer (1967). With out finding and renting both I dont know if bluray and its 2.0 mono hd sound + hd video is worth it over the old used dvd i could get for cheap.

Any tips or suggestion welcome.
oldschooltech is offline   Reply With Quote