View Single Post
Old 17th January 2013, 19:05   #16987  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Nothing is treated as 288p, I don't know what you're talking about here. Do you have evidence for this claim? The fact that I only found one or two models where this problem is actually mentioned seems to suggest it's against the norm.
If you try and perform any kind of complex deinterlacing to get a 576p50 signal, from a 576i video source, you will have deinterlacing artifacts.

576i neatly becomes 288p50, and while you lose half the resolution with film-type (progressive) content, most people think it looks fine.

If you allow for switching between video and film-type deinterlacing, it will invariably make the wrong guess at some point, switch to the wrong mode, and the result is a disaster that stutters, is full of combing artifacts or aliasing, or jumps between a high and low resolution image noticeably.

It's far easier to treat all interlaced content (at least 576i, perhaps not 1080i) as 288p and you never have any artefacts, other than a softer, lower resolution image. One with hard aliasing like the example I posted above is less common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Yes, leaving "film mode" on makes interlaced content look horrible - far worse than deinterlacing progressive material would look if the deinterlacer is working correctly. Again, I haven't encountered this (on my HTPC or on the few HDTVs I've used), yet you seem to be suggesting it's extremely common. Even madshi said your sample was a rare case.
But enabling the "film mode" option on a television doesn't say "treat this input as progressive content" all it does is enable the display to attempt 2:2 cadence detection - of which I have never seen a television do a good job, if it even has the option. Even if they do a good job of displaying films without artifacts, they tend to incorrectly identify video content as film-type and switch to the wrong mode, with very bad results, so you can't leave the option enabled all the time - and most people don't want to be jumping into the menus to toggle it on/off all the time, so it gets left off.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote