View Single Post
Old 16th March 2006, 07:08   #154  |  Link
3dsnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51
I'm not a expert in DRC, but I think if DRC algorithms use parameters like attack and dekay is for good reasons.

A instant volume conversión with simple math formulas produce distort output like you can see in this image.

With a frequency analysis you can see the audible overtones, not present using more sophisticated algorithms:
Frequency Analysis.

For me the DRC is only useful with ac3 or dts sources, and this work ok with your modified NicAaudio.dll. For others uses the compand Sox function still work better than this AudioLimiters.
Tebasune51 is right. The limiter (or also called soft clipper) is usually used to make the hard clipping effect more listenable. It is a useful tool, so it is good to have it. It also can be viewed as the simplest form of compressor.
---------------------------
However, for compressing the amplitude of the signal, usually a dynamic compressor is used (with the attack phase, release phase, compression ratio, and other parameters).
---------------------------
Dimzon, I have implemented in the past a very high quality (very low harmonic distortions) compressor for some pro-audio applications, and the code belongs to me (personally). I will have to just clean it a bit and will provide you with it. So you will be able to use it as open source, or in whaterver way you prefer. So I will get back with this to you soon.

Last edited by 3dsnar; 16th March 2006 at 07:10.
3dsnar is offline   Reply With Quote