View Single Post
Old 11th October 2011, 09:46   #10067  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
And one thing, in my experience, CRT monitors can be pretty linear. But CRT projectors are not, particularly NECs. Blue hump, for instance.
That's true. I found the same with some newer CRT televisions/monitors too. Seems to be that once they got digital processing controlling some aspects, they ruined a lot of what makes an analogue CRT great. (not saying that's the cause of the blue hump though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Still, the image is very nice, and while I would now swap it for a digital, I wouldn't have until very recently (even then only a LCOS/SXRD....if only the affordable ones would do BLACK a bit better!)
Just a word of warning, the motion handling on LCoS/SXRD sucks, even on the latest models, and you will only be happy with the black level on the higher-end JVCs.

It's a shame that CRT is dead. It didn't stand a chance considering the bulk and power inefficiency (although it's only since we've had LED screens that flat panels improve on them, as most people buy a larger set) and what's out there is gradually disappearing, but there's nothing yet that comes close to a good CRT for wonderfully smooth gradation, variable scan rates, inky-deep black levels. There's a certain richness to the image on a good CRT that I've yet to find with a flat panel or other display.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote