View Single Post
Old 5th January 2018, 00:18   #280  |  Link
Maal656

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
For your short sample it is indeed simple to split the correct chapter-parts. And yes with a real movie exists many more hidden chapters(cut-points).
Only with the mkv to determine which chapters have to split is possible but a big task.

When you cut on a chapter point, which is not the start or end time of an m2ts/VobID, then maybe MTX can not cut correctly (Key frame issue).
Best way is to cut on the original m2ts(VobID)-durations but this info is for the single mkv not available.
Hello again!

I've done a test trying to extrack the different editions from a multi-edition MKV, and performing the process manually all seems OK. I'm attaching only the chapter information:

Original chapter.xml from the "Paranormal Activity - The Ghost Dimension" MKV, which includes three different editions of the movie:

File: MultiEdition.xml

Based on informartion for 2nd and 3rd edition, I've created (using ChapterEditor), two new chapter files, each one corresponding to one edition. In these files I add a new chapter in each position where in the original movie there is a jump from one time to other (as these times will be those used for the splitting), and also identify if they will be used or not in the new MKV to be created.

Chapter file for "Edition 2": Edition2.xml

Chapter file for "Edition 3": Edition3.xml

In order to create the MKV of Edition 2, I save the chapter file in (a copy of) the original Multi-edition MKV (replacing the original ordered chapters information), I load the MKV in MKVToolnix and then I select that the output must be splitted by chapters, in "all".

Once the process finishes I get multiple MKV files that must be ordered and joined. As I have identified the parts which are "not used", it is really easy to select the correct order. For example for edition 2 is:

001 + 014 + 003 + 015 + 005 + 016 + 007 + 017 + 009 + 018 + 011 + 019 + 013

I've checked all the "transition points" between parts, which are the "risky" areas, and all is OK. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that these points must be "key frames", as it is required for a smooth transition when playing the original MKV with ordered chapters.

The only pending job is to add the time of the original chapters in the resulting MKV files, but this is not really difficult.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Chapters.zip (3.8 KB, 50 views)
Maal656 is offline   Reply With Quote