View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 08:34   #9  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Based on those images, extremely smooth is really not that smooth but more like any quite nicely compressible flat-like area. At least if the effect is what it is doing there..
The question is if the lack off strong-intra-smoothing is directly related to the defects in this picture, or if it saves that much bitrate elsewere so that bits can be spent on details in areas that are otherwise blury. Eitherway, I can't really find any parts that looks better with it disabled, so it's not like it causes obvious smoothing were it shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
The real question is quality @ bitrate? If it adds detail AND bitrate it isn't clear if it is a better deal than using SAO at a lower CRF. Comparing in 2-pass VBR mode would allow apples-to-apples.

I would expect SAO to help more as bitrates go down and CRF goes up.
All tests are 2pass VBR, and the question is not regarding SAO but strong intra smoothing. But in terms of SAO, disabling it have never caused any side effects for me outside animation and very low bitrate material. It doesnt effect encoding speed, or increase bitrate @ given CRF level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvG View Post
@excellentswordfight, what's the source bitrate?
As stated, uncompressed (not really true though, its re-compressed to FFV1, so actually lossless not uncompressed).

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 6th May 2019 at 10:55.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote