View Single Post
Old 27th September 2015, 14:45   #175  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
Neither was I—I was pointing out that if we assume that we can just Weave() together fields and have correct chroma siting (this is true of the "standard" 4:2:0 interlaced chroma siting), then there's nothing special that needs to be done if we can assume the playback setup isn't completely broken.
I agree, nothing needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
In practice it's probably safe to assume some sort of field matching will be used and that progressive chroma upsampling is done after all the deinterlacing and field matching nonsense, so you could just ignore this issue entirely. If it still uses interlaced chroma upsampling after deinterlacing or field matching, then that obviously falls under the category of "your setup is broken so we won't support it".
Yes, but if you are using a traditional plain ol DVD-player without any progressive scan, just Scart, the player wouldn't do anything more sophisticated than ConvertToYUY2/RGB(interlaced=true) whenever the stream is flagged as interlaced.
Now my point is, the player is not doing anything wrong there, really. Whenever you put something non-interlaced on a DVD and yet flag it interlaced, you should downsample the chroma to 4:2:0 the "interlaced way". I'm rather sure in the end that's probably almost the same as applying a vertical low-pass on the chroma, so we kind of agree that something needs to be done.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 27th September 2015 at 14:47.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote