View Single Post
Old 11th October 2013, 10:22   #33  |  Link
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
I'm a bit clueless about analogue video, but isn't that still technically composite? It doesn't sound like two signals are being recorded on separate areas of tape.

David

Nope, two signal are recorded at the same time but on different frequencies (thus you can say that this is frequency multiplexing).
Chrominance is recorded in native way (as chrominance itself is AM/PM modulated) on "low" frequency, luminance is converted to FM signal and later recorded on different frequency (or rather part of spectrum) such signal is combined and feed trough write amplifier to write head (usually this is one head - combined head write/read).

This is same principle as radio - multiple radio station at the same time if each of them use different part of spectrum.

---

I've check schematics for this Sony SLV-E830 and you can easily recognize that Y and C are separate signals up to point where they are combined as CVBS and feed to video output - oscilograms clearly show this principle (there are visible colorbar signal with two part - L signal is for example on pin 25 of the IC201, where C signal is on pin 48 of the IC201.
So this VCR can be modified to provide Y/C signals.

I don't know any of the of VCR with RGB output as this require CVBC decoder (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) - there is no added value to have such decoder in VCR as required decoder already exist in TV.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote