View Single Post
Old 27th April 2007, 08:31   #35  |  Link
plugh
A hollow voice says

Out of curiosity, I also did a build using ICL 9.0.28 with the above "fix", and compared it to the msvc/gcc builds.

The difference set is now much smaller, however there are still differences. I've poked at it some, and made the following observations.

1) Ever so often, the VOP header is a single bit longer than 'usual'. This extra bit is sometimes enough to cause the byte-padded frame to be a single byte longer. The msvc and ICL builds do not do this 'in sync' with each other. Thus, a comparison of the .pass files for ICL vs msvc shows occasional one byte frame length differences. No such difference is observed comparing msvc vs gcc .pass files.

The source of this difference in behaviour is the following routine in encoder.c
Code:
simplify_time(int *inc, int *base)
{
	/* common factor */
	const int s = gcd(*inc, *base);
  *inc  /= s;
  *base /= s;

if (*base > 65535 || *inc > 65535) {
		int *biggest;
		int *other;
		float div;

if (*base > *inc) {
			biggest = base;
			other = inc;
		} else {
			biggest = inc;
			other = base;
		}

div = ((float)*biggest)/((float)65535);
		*biggest = (unsigned int)(((float)*biggest)/div);
		*other = (unsigned int)(((float)*other)/div);
	}
}
In my case avisynth was feeding an 'inc' of 41708 and 'base' of 1,000,000. The above code, in attempting to normalize the base to 65535, actually returns 65534 with the ICL build.

2) If I encode a very short sequence of frames (so that I don't encounter that extra bit/byte 'time' thing above), then binary compare the avi files, I consistently show a single byte difference per frame. In my test case, the msvc build will have an 'FF' where the ICL build has an 'FB'. I don't have any tool to parse the avi and tell me where this byte is in the frame (though I would guess it's at the end?)

Again, the msvc and gcc builds show no such difference. I'm suspicious of the "bitstream" code in this case, but will leave that as 'an exercise' for someone else...

Last edited by plugh; 27th April 2007 at 08:46.
plugh is offline   Reply With Quote