View Single Post
Old 10th April 2017, 21:26   #93  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
I don't need more words, I just need less math... unless those words are an explanation of what the variables mean in the math. For example, "s(x) = sum_n s(n*T) * sinc((x-n*T)/T" might make more sense if someone explained what s, sum_n, n, and T were supposed to mean.
Did you click and read the wikipedia link that says where the maths come from?

Quote:
The symbol T = 1/fs is customarily used to represent the interval between samples and is called the sample period or sampling interval. And the samples of function x(t) are commonly denoted by x[n] = x(nT) (alternatively "xn" in older signal processing literature), for all integer values of n. A mathematically ideal way to interpolate the sequence involves the use of sinc functions. Each sample in the sequence is replaced by a sinc function, centered on the time axis at the original location of the sample, nT, with the amplitude of the sinc function scaled to the sample value, x[n]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
If I had to pick one thing to start with, I'd start with an explanation of how a function can be cubic when it uses more than four control points. I read somewhere that any function going through N control points can see X raised to an exponent as high as N-1...
You probably misunderstood what you read then, because the order of the polynomials and the number of control points have nothing to do with each other. The cubic spline is called cubic because each piece (the curve between one control point and the next) is expressed as a third order polynomial. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicSpline.html

Last edited by TheFluff; 10th April 2017 at 21:38.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote