View Single Post
Old 29th May 2009, 12:41   #439  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Would creating a new ifo be useful for loading color palettes?
Well, for a DVD-SUP, the info missing in the SUP is usually stored in/read from the IFO (as the IDX files is used for SUB/IDX). I would suppose that this includes not only the palette, but also the video size. At least info about the video stream is part of the IFO.

Quote:
If you were ever to add dvd sup export with pgcedit color palette it would be very useful for some and it could open the possibility of exporting other dvd author software that supports external color palettes if any exist.
I wonder where the sceen size would be stored then. How would an application that reads the SUP + palette know if the captions are meant for PAL or NTSC? Beside: more or less all the applications that import DVD-SUP need the IFO and won't accept anything else.

Quote:
I don't have any experience with ConvertXtoDVD but it allows vobsub as input?
Yep. It's commercial and has some other drawbacks though, mainly lack of proper scaling (aliasing artefacts when scaling down due to lack of lowpass filtering) and only single pass encoding. Still, it's good enough for my purposes and I only need three tools in the whole process: EAC3TO, BDSup2Sub and ConvertXtoDVD. Besides, the version 4.x is said to implement better scaling filters and multi-pass encoding.

Quote:
They probably do, I didn't find any noticeable differences in the few minutes I spent comparing. But it seems that sup > vobsub > sup isn't bit for bit identical to the source sup, bunch of changes, so I used nearly identical.
Most probably only the RLE buffers differ due to slightly different encoder implementation on different tools.

Anyway, I had a quick look at the IFO format and it might be easier to implement writing a fake IFO and reading colors/fps/resolution from the IFO then I originally thought. So let's say I consider importing/exporting SUP/IFO. This doesn't mean that you can expect it to be implemented any time soon, but it's kinda likely that this will be the next (and probably) last major feature that I will add. Might take a while though.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote