View Single Post
Old 21st December 2003, 20:43   #250  |  Link
Umma

Just an FYI on something I just did...

Took a 32-bit 73 minute - 1.5GB wav and Biduled it with the normal 5.1 setup, offline processing, into a 16-bit multichannel wav.

Resulting file was 2.2GB.

Out of curiosity, I opened the file in Cool Edit 2.0...took a few minutes, but six wavs opened, and in single-wav view, each wav was a mono 379MB file. The naming scheme used by cool edit was AID1 (original file name), then AID1(2), AID1(3)...and so on to the number 6. The number 4 wav was empty, but each other wav was mono and just a little different-looking than the last. Used the SAVE AS option to save the first one as FL, the second as FR, the third as C, the 5th and 6th as SL and SR, respectively. Bully on the blank one, I leave the LFE empty in Surcode, anyway.

(I quit using Besweet-to-dts automation for now...Surcode has been crashing when called by Besweet lately. Don't know why.)

Surcode rejected the FL file, the first file saved (and without a number) telling me it needed a mono file, so when I looked at it in Explorer it showed up as a 2.2 GB file whereas the rest were 379 MB files (like they were supposed to be).

That FL-file still showed up as a 379 MB mono file in cool edit when I opened it...and it split into five other mono wavs just as the original one did before I saved as speaker assignments. Weird how this file is still considered to be a multi-channel file, but yet also as a mono, as well.

Don't roll your eyes at me, Scully...might just have to do with the different header-naming scheme that DSPGuru spoke of.

I ran that "mono" FL file through cool edits "resample to mono" option, saved it again, and it finally showed up in Explorer as a 379 MB mono file, was accepted by Surcode, encoded with the others into a dts file, and the heavens screamed with joy.

But I'm out of blank CD-Rs, can't try it out as a dts CD on the DVD player yet.

Anyway, I like to read every bit of information on everyone's experiences, so I just thought I'd share.