View Single Post
Old 27th September 2016, 20:54   #4277  |  Link
trip_let

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumsky View Post
Is RDO predictions the Entropy coding you mentioned?
I'm not x265_Project and not that familiar with video encoding, but unless entropy coding means something different in this context, usually that just refers to general lossless encoding of information bits by essentially making a more efficient representation using codewords, representing more common patterns with fewer bits and less common patterns with more bits. So this process is not about predictions. Some information used in aiding rate distortion optimization with rd 5 is entropy coded.

Rate distortion optimization is about figuring out which lossy representation is acceptably close to the original. At a high level there are more calculations with higher rd levels to increase accuracy of predictions of what might be the best candidate of choices/modes to use by the encoder.

By the way, does anybody know an easy way to compare what's different between versions? I'm not much of a coder and don't really know platforms like bitbucket etc. I know you can look at the commits but that's a bit low level. Kind of looking for the equivalent of a changelog between stable builds. Maybe you can compare documentation versions? But on readthedocs they have latest, stable, 1.7, 1.6 on down, but no 2.0. Can some other snapshot be accessed? Or perhaps any feature labeled "experimental" might be new?
trip_let is offline   Reply With Quote