View Single Post
Old 27th March 2018, 17:32   #49865  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
Hi everybody!

I've been doing some tests lately with madvr and an oppo203 a friend let me few days.

Something very strange happens to me and I don't know if this is normal or not.

First of all, at the options for calibrating display in madvr, if I set a power curve gamma, the deeper I set the value in the Gamma field the more washed out it gets the image.
So far I know, the higher the gamma, darker it should get.

I use a JVC with a 2.4 gamma at the proyector settings. If I set a gamma of 2.2 in madvr it gets darker and if I set a 2.4 it washes out, if I set 2.6 it washes more.

Aslo regarding to sdr2020 conversion I detected something strange also. I like to test my settings with the last film of Harry Potter.

At arround 1h35 there is some scenes of high hdr content. Very bright images with lots of highlights.

With the oppo doing sdr2020 in this scenes there are a little magenta tones in the highlights.
In madvr this tones dont show up when doing sdr2020 and setting display calibrated to bt2020 , but if I set the display is not calibrated this tones show up exactly as the oppo does.

Also have detected this with faces and with yellow explosions or fire. At the oppo the magenta tint (very subtle) is present and in madvr sdr2020 with display calibrated to bt2020 they are missing.

Also with the color of Bumblebee in Transformers 5, it shows like a yellow lemon desaturated the tone and in oppo it shows a deeper yellow with more magenta mixed, the same as if I turn of the display calibration settings in madvr.

Regards!
What did you set HDR under devices to? This could alter the image as HDR -> SDR conversion is possible. I'm not sure if the Oppo does this. The image should be identical with native content.

Is it possible your display is calibrated to Rec.709 in SDR mode? When calibration controls are disabled, I think it defaults to Rec.709, but this has not been made clear. No display can do Rec.2020. It would be DCI-P3 at best. As for the gamma, any mismatch would alter the brightness. If you choose the correct value, it should be fine. But again, I think disabling calibration control defaults to a gamma of 2.20, so this is not clear either.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote