View Single Post
Old 4th June 2011, 01:04   #99  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Clamped Elliptical Weighted Averaging filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hi Nicolas,

nice to see you here, welcome to the forum!
Hello Madshi.

(I won't be too good of a poster for a bit: I'm reading the threads a bit too fast to make sure all my comments are on target.)

I actually joined Doom9 in March to push some my goods unto unsuspecting passerbys. And lo and behold, some relevant threads just sprouted!
Quote:
One thing I don't understand is how "Elliptical" has anything to do with simple image up-/downscaling. I mean if there's no perspective transformation, how can there be ellipses? How can it matter whether you use EWA or conventional distance weighting if all ellipses are actually circles?...
I could go into a longwinded explanation, but won't.

Let me just say that if you are preserving aspect ratios exactly, then you won't have ellipses: only disks.

If you don't reduce in any of the two directions (for example, if you are enlarging in both directions, or keeping one dimension the same and enlarging in the other), you will get disks, not ellipses.

But if your resize ratio is slightly different horizontally and vertically, and you are downsampling in at least one direction, then you'll get ellipses aligned with the axes instead of disks.

More wishy washy: Your image may have sampled the world on a uniform grid, but the world is not laid out on a uniform grid. Some of the artifacts one gets with common samplers are a consequence of being enslaved to Descartes. Using rotationally invariant samplers takes off these shackles.

But really, the proof is in the pudding:

Install a recent version of ImageMagick and try any resizing task (up/down/mix and match) with "convert -filter lanczossharp -distort resize".

Documentation: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/distorts/#resize and http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/#distort_resize.

If you find something that works, overall, better with natural images, let me know.

(Warning: The Jinc EWA code is going to see some major optimizations this Summer. So will the (regular) tensor Lanczos code.)

Last edited by NicolasRobidoux; 4th June 2011 at 02:12.
NicolasRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote