View Single Post
Old 12th March 2011, 07:28   #4  |  Link
gordonliu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Just use the original MKV as a source without demuxing, or mux the .h264 elementary stream to MP4. They will work through AviSynth at least.
I tried this.... I tried simply loading my MKV into virtualdub and vdubmod...

both gave me errors, and it was the same error that I have received upon every attempt, regardless of what I have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Or how about using FFmpeg for the whole process:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 3 output.mkv
If Xbox has trouble with the high bitrates that -qscale 3 may give, then use 2-pass encoding with bitrate limits and maybe slower settings.

I will try FFmpeg...

I dont think it has anything specific to do with the bitrate. The Xbox just barely manages to render relatively low bitrate MKV files.

higher res HD, with bitrates in the range of 3000-4000 kbps average are impossible.

it freezes almost immediately

it has trouble with anything greater than 720p native, even when the image is downscaled (like setting the box to display 1080i, but playing a 720p file).

it just barely handles 720p xvid content when encoded in the neighborhood of 3500 kbps for the video (average, with 2 pass encoding, not sure about the peak bitrate).

it has no trouble with full 720p or cropped (black bars) with DTS or AC3 at varying bitrates...

but as soon as you throw in the X264/H264, the box just cant handle it.

I realize that I am handicapping myself and jumping through hoops to reduce my picture quality and compression... but I do it for the sake of prevent a need for a massive investment.

my xbox cost $30, and the modchip was $40. I use the stock hard drive (everything is networked).

the Monster brand Component cable (cheapest brand) was $12 on ebay and the small SPDIF optical connector was $5.

thats about $90 for a 720p capable network Media player that can play some games (including emulators), and DVDs.
gordonliu is offline   Reply With Quote