View Single Post
Old 20th March 2010, 15:43   #218  |  Link
JoshyD

My bad on the inc, dec instructions, I thought I had read something in the Intel docs about them, it was actually that some forms of them aren't supported. I think the instruction is encoding may longer when using the extended registers, regardless of which portion of the register you want to inc or dec.

Quote:
The INC and DEC instructions are supported in 64-bit mode. However, some forms of INC and DEC (the register operand being encoded using register extension field in the MOD R/M byte) are not encodable in 64-bit mode because the opcodes are treated as REX prefixes.
There's also something about register dependency breaking (the whole register renaming in an out of order core thing) if you modify all the flags with an ADD or SUB rather than just an INC or DEC, I don't remember exactly what it is.
Edit: found it, from intel's optimization guidelines
Quote:
Assembly/Compiler Coding Rule 32. (M impact, H generality) INC and DEC instructions should be replaced with ADD or SUB instructions, because ADD and SUB overwrite all flags, whereas INC and DEC do not, therefore creating false dependencies on earlier instructions that set the flags.

I'll look into why the resize is throwing an error. What color space is it giving the error in? I can't seem to get the crash in any color space . . .

Last edited by JoshyD; 20th March 2010 at 21:15.
JoshyD is offline   Reply With Quote