View Single Post
Old 8th December 2017, 01:52   #1287  |  Link
lordsmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
You may look at my short tutorial to how to tweak the settings. Your D and A settings are insane. Not even the dragon ball z level set need that high of an A.
Update:

So I pulled back KNLmeansCL settings as much as possible, attacking only the worst of the video. It still needs a lot of work, but I'm getting about 10fps using the Intel GPU with MT in x64 Avisynth+.

I can attack the remaining issues with faster filters. None are as good as the pure KNLmeansCL in terms of end result quality, but will suffice.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I don’t think you understand how any of this works. Thermodynamically speaking almost all the electrical energy going into the computer will be converted to thermal energy.
As far as TDP/heat/etc:

A 40W bulb also has no fan, but the heat emanates into the room. The computer has ventilation, the computer is a conductor, the card has ventilation, heat emanates out the card, thus into the room. Also science.

And you're still missing my point. Having no card = 0, any card = more than 0. The card will expel heat, be it passively or actively (fan). I want a compute to compute, not double as a room heater in the summer. Because it does raise a room by at least 5 degrees here, if not more. If you're in New York or Colorado or Canada or somewhere, you may not run into that problem.

Again, TDP isn't a direct measure of heat expelled by a given system. But it's also not a measurement of mere power consumption. For example, given the TDP numbers against your heat measurement, I have to wonder if the CPU heatsink is inadequate, or needs a re-seat/re-paste. That's what the numbers tell me. It also tells me to expect the GPU to run hotter, though probably not 2x hotter realistically. Those are why the numbers exist.

Anyway, whatever... I have encoding to do now.