Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:40   #75  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim View Post
I'm not sure how that would help. Even if it detected a plugin was changed/added/removed, that still doesn't tell us much about whether it is the "correct" version. Can you elaborate on your idea further?

As a side note, because Avs(+) doesn't have a continuously running process in the background, plugin change detection cannot be implemented efficiently. Even fontconfig has to be notified from an external application if the font folder changes. And purely for performance, implementing a plugin cache isn't needed for Avisynth. As a comparison, there are much fewer plugins than fonts, and the plugins are also much smaller.
The original idea actually was rooted in how I understood the original AviSynth's plugin autoloading to work, where all plugins in the autoload folder were loaded so it could identify where functions were, then everything was unloaded, and finally the necessary ones were loaded again. That initial step could cause issues if a plugin was prone to crashing, even if said plugin wasn't even used in the script (one of the variants of WarpSharp was known to cause issues like this).

The cache idea was mostly thought up to avoid that scenario, since it would store the names and plugin locations of the functions and avoid having to perform those first two steps and any instability that could cause - instead, it'd read the cache, compare it to the script, and then load only the plugins used in the script.

But if there's an issue with plugin name collisions, a cache might allow for user overrides on a plugin-specific level while still keeping the new directory priorities the same (in the original project, I'm pretty sure this is why the ability to prefix the function with the name of the dll was added: dgdecode_MPEG2Source vs. mpeg2dec3_MPEG2Source, even though that's the case of the same function, but different .dll names - having it user-customizable would remove the need for special prefixing since the user could set whichever plugin they want as the default, and it would cover cases if the plugin and function names were the same, since the user could have the ability to set an alias of their own in the cache). Or in the RemoveGrain example, it could use a separate CPU dispatching plugin or function and the cache could be used to prioritize which version would take priority on the host CPU.

Regarding FFMS2, I don't think the extra 2.6 stuff in its version of avisynth_c.h was preventing it from autoloading, since I experimented with it a little last night using Meld to merge the changes in locally, and it still didn't autoload. So it seems the problem lies elsewhere (although having avisynth_c.h get updated would be nice).