Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:27   #74  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Another thing is to improve somehow the detection of garbage in the autoload directories (i.e. old plugins which are incompatible with 2.6). However, querying the interface version for each plugin every time would probably be too time consuming.
I'm not sure if that is what you mean, but both Avs and Avs+ already query interface versions. They try to load the 2.6 interface from a plugin first, and if that is not supported, they try to load the 2.5 interface. Avs+ also tries to load the C interface if both of the previous ones fail. In the future, the C interface should probably be prioritized over 2.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
What about an index that caches the necessary functions out of the plugins (maybe something like what fontconfig does, where the cache is only regenerated when it detects a change in the directory contents)? Would that allow more flexibility to determine which version of a plugin should be used or which plugins actually get autoloaded? Checking a cache file would probably be a lot faster than checking the plugins themselves, right?
I'm not sure how that would help. Even if it detected a plugin was changed/added/removed, that still doesn't tell us much about whether it is the "correct" version. Can you elaborate on your idea further?

As a side note, because Avs(+) doesn't have a continuously running process in the background, plugin change detection cannot be implemented efficiently. Even fontconfig has to be notified from an external application if the font folder changes. And purely for performance, implementing a plugin cache isn't needed for Avisynth. As a comparison, there are much fewer plugins than fonts, and the plugins are also much smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
In what contexts do MAINSCRIPTDIR and the other 'special' names get replaced with the corresponding folders?
In all strings, or only when used in the argument to AddAutoloadDir?
Only in AddAutoloadDir(), and even there, only if they are at the very beginning of the string. These get replaced to absolute folder paths, so if they are not at the beginning of the string, replacing them would only result in an invalid path (e.g. you'd end up with "c:" in the middle of your path).

Quote:
On the C-plugin autoloading front, I can verify that AssRender now autoloads, but FFMS2's C-plugin (github.com/FFMS/ffms2/commits/c_plugin) does not, even when I try to load it with LoadPlugin.

On a guess, I think it *might* have to do with FFMS2 using the same modified-for-2.6-colorspaces version of avisynth_c.h that x264 and FFmpeg do. So a feature request would be to merge in those changes and finally bring avisynth_c.h up to speed.
Nice spotting. I'll have a look at it when I get home.

Quote:
The build instructions I posted earlier have been revamped and fleshed out. It now includes DirectShowSource setup.
Thx.

Last edited by ultim; 2nd October 2013 at 08:50. Reason: Removed paragraph about function call matching, as I need to verify that once more.