Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2013, 00:48   #214  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Okay, this projects needs some user input again.

A new issue got created on github but unfortunately we couldn't decide whether it should be implemented or not. This is not a critical issue of any sort but it is quite annoying.

How to reproduce
The minimal example as posted on github is:
Code:
blankclip(1000,720,480, "yv12",color_yuv=$808080)
anotherfilter = blankclip(1000,720,480, "yv12",color_yuv=$FF8080)
StackHorizontal(last, anotherfilter)
It works fine. Now if you remove the last line, making the script
Code:
blankclip(1000,720,480, "yv12",color_yuv=$808080)
anotherfilter = blankclip(1000,720,480, "yv12",color_yuv=$FF8080)
you will get a "Not a clip" error.

Why
Assignment operator returns uninitialized avisynth value, basically nothing. This "nothing" does not override the last variable so you still can request that one simply putting last on the next line.

Proposed solution
Instead of returning nothing, return the last clip value if it exists. Same effect could be achieved right now by adding last to the line after every assignment in your script.

Drawbacks
I don't see how this could break any existing script. It might reduce performance of script initialization a bit since it requires looking up the last variable on every assignment, but you won't notice this. Of course I might be missing something.

Why bother
You write a script and then you decide to try it without a few lines at the end, so you comment them out and BAM - "not a clip". This could be solved by always adding "last" to the last line of your scripts but it's kinda hacky.

What's needed
Your input. Basically, something like "oh I had this problem before, would be nice to get this fixed" or "nah, this will break my scripts because I found a way to rely on this behavior", or even "omg no, this will reduce initialization performance by 0.00000001%, can't have that" would work.
IanB's opinion if we could fix this in the vanilla avisynth would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 6th November 2013 at 00:57.