View Single Post
Old 29th June 2006, 16:28   #2  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

you might want to try blindpp instead of dgdecode's internal deblocking. it's not optimal, but it's more stable (dgdecode will deblock more agressively on macroblocks with a higher quantiser, which can cause detail to flicker in and out between b-frames and p-frames).

this is a desperate measure, but you can run levels(...) on you source to clip the dark areas to pure black. you can't have visible block edges when adjacent blocks are pure black

also, check the stats x264 spits out - what percentage of blocks are being skipped?

also, direct prediction should be set to "auto" (i think that's the name of the param, but check the docs), as temporal prediction might not always be optimal. auto will use temporal and spatial where appropriate. this might just have a positive effect on the skipped blocks (which are likely to be where you're seeing blocky artefacts).

you might also want to try it without --no-fast-pskip, as that will also have an (unknown to me) effect.

but FYI, yes h.264 will remove grain, and lots of it. this may or may not be a good thing (i like to keep a bit), but h.264 does allow for film grain simulation on decoding based on side information on encoding. this will certainly hide blocking if it's there, but obviously the more elegant solution would be for the blocking to not arise at all