View Single Post
Old 29th December 2014, 18:11   #7  |  Link
MrPete

Thanks, John! That gives me a few things to work on. Not sure if I can eliminate the CA "mechanically" or not... we'll see.

A few FYI's:

* The Sniper has some obvious differences. Your Workprinter focus/alignment instructions involve both projector and camera focus. My Sniper has no projector lens or focus. I am shooting directly on the film plane.

* It will be interesting to see what options I have for modifying my capture process. My wife has some high end pro DSLR equipment that I am occasionally borrowing for this project... normally it seems hardly likely that people would have any of this for film conversion... just WAY too expensive!

- Nikon D800e DSLR with 36mpxl FX sensor (closed down to DX to get the 1.5x multiplier). No noise at all to ISO 1000+, better results than the Sniper's Canon HV20 even at ISO 10,000+

- 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens with 1.7x TC

- Plus I'm using the close-up adapter that came with the Sniper, and 77-43mm step-down ring.

The only real downside to my rig is that the D800 only allows me to set the shutter speed in full manual exposure mode.... what I would love is a true shutter-priority auto-exposure, and that is apparently not available

I will do some realignment experiments tonight.

In the meantime: I'm still curious if there's a way to remove the blue fringe via a processing step...
MrPete is offline   Reply With Quote