View Single Post
Old 7th October 2017, 02:33   #15333  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtop View Post
It turns out that no one really knows how to calibrate OLED and they all invent stories
I recently purchased an LG OLED55C7P and was able to calibrate it quite successfully. It is now extremely accurate in SDR but only fairly accurate in HDR.

I used a Display 3 Pro I profiled on my TV with a i1 pro2. My white point looks very good, contrast is amazing, and my gamma is a near perfect pure power 2.4. The highest error is at ~2 dE and most colors are <1 dE (DCI-P3, D65, BT.1886), and that is before madVR with a 3DLUT.

I am not sure why your professional calibrator failed so badly but it did take me some experimenting with my TV's options to figure how what to tweak and what to leave alone. Using the TV's color management was not good, nor was using its 20-point white point adjustment. However, the two point white point adjustment worked quite well and I was able to get a near perfect gray scale, every patch in the entire 21 point gray scale was <1 dE.

I do have some minor banding I was unable to get rid of but otherwise I am very happy with the image quality and its before software calibration.

Of course this might not be the case with older models but it isn't a problem calibrating OLED TVs in general.