View Single Post
Old 15th September 2017, 08:33   #1011  |  Link
johnmeyer

After seeing manono's comment, I re-read his post, and he emphasized "true" 24p. I guess I need clarification of what that means. Forgetting for a moment about the 23.976 vs. 24.000 thing, if he really wants 24 unique frames each second, then motion interpolation is the only choice. That is built into both VideoFred's script, and in my adaptation of his script. I don't recommend it, however, because even if you use the masked version of Interframe that was recently developed, you'll still end up with a LOT of bad frames. The lower the frame rate (and 16 or 18 fps is pretty low), the bigger the temporal gap between frames, and the larger and more frequent these errors become. Motion estimation works really well on 60p material (for when you want to get super-slo-mo) because it doesn't have to move the pixels very far to make the tween frames, but it doesn't work that well on amateur silent film. I've posted the link to my Flint, MI parade many times which I converted from 16 to 30p before I uploaded, and it is a textbook case of what can go wrong.

So, if you want true 24p, ME is the only tool that I know of that will give you what you want, and the code is already posted in this thread.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote