View Single Post
Old 29th January 2021, 05:35   #13  |  Link
cungybuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
What the others said.
The Kodi screenshots are 3840x1902 32bit .png, the mpv are 1920x1080 24bit .png.
Not even the same frames...Do we compare apples to oranges ?
Asking for samples might also mean:
Do we get to see source video to be able to compare various players' renderings against the decoded picture?
With blu-ray it will be 8-bit anyway and yes, there may be visible steps encoded around low Y and around neutral U,V,
Happens with professional Blu-ray and UHD disc productions, my drawer has a good part of these.
Visible Blocks in UHD black letterboxes, "zer"graded shadows from major labels, anything...
Which dithering will nicely cover, and it might be sitting hidden within one player's chain and not the other's.
The difference in color depths and resolutions was an oversight on my part, I apologize. The Google Drive link below contains three different video samples that I think are representative of the problem: two from Better Call Saul and one from Westworld. I made sure that no re-encoding was performed.

I'm a video purist, so I'd rather see the artifacts if they're actually in the source rather than use post-processing to remove them. Also, what are these "'zer'graded" shadows" you speak of?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...oX?usp=sharing
cungybuns is offline   Reply With Quote