Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th October 2013, 22:49   #115  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
If it was boosted by SSE2 or whatever, great, if not, then it would fall back to the plain C or C++ version and if the user's on a computer old enough for that to be true, then they already know how slow their computer is, so I still don't see the problem in merely letting them run it in an unoptimized state.
But this requires filters/plugins to have this unoptimized plain C version, which might not always be the case (take a look a sangnom2 for example, which doesn't have a plain C version. Original sangnom didn't either). I dunno about you, but I don't really see any point in adding that only to support some 15-years old CPUs (readability problem aside). This is probably not the problem for internal filters though, since most (all?) of them do have the C path.

Guarantees is a good thing and IMHO requiring a newer-than-10-years-old CPU if this makes plugin authors' lifes easier is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
This would be the ideal scenario in my book as well but I don't know how much work would be involved to dig out the core and then add these - let's call them native - filters.
The core filters are separated quite well and moving them to an external dll wouldn't be hard.

That said, I can't say I fully support the idea. I believe the core itself must provide basic video operations the way it does now and I don't see how separating them would help anything. Especially when compilation of the core is dead simple and fast now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim View Post
Some changes that I proposed for inclusion in my very first changeset include a refactor of alignment-related functionality. Let me try to make a very-very cautious statement, that I think a minimum alignment guarantee of 32 bytes should be there, unless a script uses unaligned crop.

Getting rid of unaligned crops would undoubtably strengthen this semi-guarantee, but I also must add that there might be other places I have overlooked. Should you find any violation of this alignment, I'll get rid of it for sure as soon as I get to know of it.
Here we come to the problem I originally tried to explain to IanB (and failed) - only strong guarantees are good for developers.
Take the core filters for example. Right now, most of them are optimized for MMX only, which does not require any type of alignment the way SSE2 do. While porting to x64 and SSE2 (which is the only option if we use intrinsics), one will need to take alignment into account. And without any strong guarantee, he would essentially need to either
1) Template almost every SSE2-optimized routine ever to use unaligned or aligned loads based on provided data. This becomes even worse if we use external asm because simple templates are much easier than any kind of asm macros.
2) Always use unaligned loads which makes every single SSE2-optimized filter slower only to provide faster crop and possibly faster source filters which I'm not aware of.

That said, I agree we shouldn't make rush decisions. This is indeed a hard question that might (and probably will) break some older filters. I guess I'll do a build with alignment parameter to NewVideoFrame ignored and see how much breaks later.

----
Also, setting up an IRC channel on freenode/rizon or something to speed up the communication process would be nice, I guess (there's already #avisynth on freenode btw).

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 7th October 2013 at 01:56.