View Single Post
Old 7th March 2011, 14:13   #95  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantangobi View Post
So if I have a low quality initial burn, there is no need to remake these discs?
Would they survive for say 4-5 years?
If they're not badly treated they probably will. To be honest though, if it were me I'd burn those old ones again just to be sure, but that probably only reflects my own paranoia rather than having any relationship to whether they'll last or not.
I've got a rule of thumb that I only keep burns where the quality percentage given by Nero is 95% or higher, and I mentioned earlier in the thread I re-burned all my old discs about three years ago as most were burned using cheap blanks and/or a poor quality burner so they weren't very good quality.

I can't really give a definitive answer myself.... probably not too many people will be able to for a few years yet.... but I'll report back later after I've run some burn quality tests on some cheap media which are about 5 years old. I've got a spindle of discs in the family room where I dump all the poor quality burns for others to use. They won't have been looked after and I should be able to dig out some pre-Verbatim discs for testing.... some Ritek blanks and even some counterfeit Mitsubishi ones.... If they're still readable now, given most of them would have been pretty poor quality to begin with (and nobody has complained about any of them not playing) I'd be willing to at least bet your verbatim discs will last 4 to 5 years.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote