View Single Post
Old 11th July 2002, 05:54   #1  |  Link
Leuf

Four new filters released

It's been too quiet in here...

The first three are all perversions of the Logo filter by Donald Graft. Over the years I've abused this filter to do all sorts of things, and not once ever used it to actually put a logo on something.

1. Fader

Simple fade in/out to a specified color over specified lengths. I've made a black bitmap and used Logo to make a fadeout with it enough times I broke down and made a filter to do it.

2. Logo - Lite

Trimmed down version of Logo, removes a couple things I didn't need (animated bitmaps, tolerance), simplified start/end/ fade controls, and handles my _x_X_y_Y_ filename convention.

For example, if you name your bitmap blah_x_360_y_20_.bmp, when it is loaded the filter will automatically set x to 360 and y to 20 for you. Over the years I started putting the x,y in the filename so I wouldn't have to remember it later, it made sense to standardize it and have the filter read it.

3. Logo - Simple

Bare bones logo filter - only start/end/x/y controls, but up to 5 logos at once (only the first 3 are saved in scripts though, due to the limits of the scripting language.) There are a lot times I just want to slap a bitmap on without any transparency, usually a black one to block out parts of the frame. Often I need to do more than one, so this cuts down on the overhead.

And finally..

4. X-Logo

My logo removal filter. A lot of debate went into whether this would ever see a public release. A year ago when the first build was made the answer to that was no. But fast forward to today and Delogo has been released, so it's somewhat moot. My main concern in releasing it was in what all the lamer release groups would do with it. But I've decided the only thing I hate more than lamers are the stations that slap logos all over everything with no respect at all for the program they are airing.

I think you'll find X-Logo much easier to use than Delogo, and that it is very effective at dealing with the network bugs it was designed to deal with. For big banner ads it's usually better to just cover them with black (see the 2 filters above) or leave them be. The interpolater can do it, but the result may be more annoying than what it replaces.. and if it's a large area it's going to take *a while* to do.

Hopefully the docs are sufficient. Everyone who has seen it has been using it so long I'd forgotten how to explain it

I'm quite proud of the interpolater, which has gone through many incarnations and now works a lot better than I ever thought it would, but there is still room for improvement. It's mainly for ideas in this area that I'm releasing it. Specifically ideas on reducing flickering, as the scene change detection doesn't do enough to mitigate that.

While most of the code has been thoroughly tested, it used to be three separate filters that have been thrust together under a new interface. It's not completely idiot proofed, so I don't need feedback like "if you put -742 for blah it crashes" Duh. Don't put -742 for anything.

So without further ado.. have at thee

I will be putting up source code sometime..

-Leuf
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote