View Single Post
Old 30th April 2019, 19:17   #3174  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Only thing now is a darker output?
This should not happen. The most likely reason is that your source uses a different color scheme than your target. Generally you can say that HD content uses Rec709 and SD content is Rec601. But this is not always the case, and AVStoDVD makes no general assumption about the source color format. Only if MediaInfo explicitly reports Rec709 the ColorMatrix filter will be automatically used to convert the color to Rec601.

So if you find a discrepancy between the source and the target, you need to experiment with the ColorMatrix filter in your AVS script. If Colormatrix is present, try to comment it out and see what happens. If it is not there, try to add it right after the source filter.

Quote:
How is DVDStyler fairing nowadays? Should I go with the 64 bit build or stay with the 32 bit? Not too many apps I've used in 64 bit have really panned out.
Compared to AVStoDVD you will get much more elaborate menu creation abilities. For transcoding it only uses FFmpeg (A2D uses FFmpeg only for very high video bitrates, otherwise it uses HCenc). Most people say that HCenc creates slightly better quality encodes than FFmpeg, but when using the right parameters FFmpeg these days certainly delivers very high quality. Since my FFmpeg-VBR plugin has been transparently integrated into DVDStyler the quality may even be higher in some cases than HCenc, at least for low bitrate encodes. You need to test this yourself.

If the 64-bit version of DVDStyler gives you a speed boost mainly depends on how much memory FFmpeg will address when doing an MPEG2 encode. Since the output will be SD and not HD the memory consumption is probably quite limited, so the speed gain will be small or even nonexistent. Personally I only use the 32-bit version of DVDStyler.

Quote:
Do you highly recommend that flawlessly working FFMS2 C plugin to update the older one?
See this post:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...78#post1868878

If you never use high bitdepth sources then you won't be affected, no problem to continue using the version which comes with AVStoDVD.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 30th April 2019 at 19:23.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote