View Single Post
Old 28th November 2013, 09:28   #20998  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
With all movies. Windows 7 x64, ATI HD 4800 (1080p, 60 Hz), Intel E8500, 8 GB of RAM. Yes .. render queue 0-6, pressent queue 0-1. I can not manage to see if it's right before I experience dropped frames, or after.
If you read the queues from top to bottom, is the render queue the first one which is empty all the time? Or do the queues above the render queue also have a problem? The queue which is causing all the trouble is the top most queue which is getting empty all the time. Which is the fill state of the queue directly above the render queue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
And that would improve PQ? Or simply lower the GPU load?
It should actually ever so slightly *increase* the GPU load because I had to add a check for whether dithering is needed or not. The GPU load increase is probably rather small, though.

The disabling of dithering for pixels which don't need it is has 3 potential benefits:

(1) With full black or white video areas, dithering ever so slightly increased the black level and decreased peak white brightness. This also meant that some displays didn't "recognize" full black video areas, due to dithering, and thus they didn't turn off the local dimming LEDs etc. With the new test build, hopefully this problem should be solved.
(2) The LightSpace CMS calibration developer told me that he prefers dithering to be off during display profiling. So I made this possible this way now.
(3) Having dithering disabled if it's not needed might slightly decrease the overall noise floor, but this is not a planned benefit, just a side effect, and the difference might be nearly invisible in most situations.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote