View Single Post
Old 7th June 2004, 22:18   #513  |  Link
kempfand

Re: SAD5.1 with impulse response

Quote:
Originally posted by Tantulus I guess the results of encoding into 5.1 ultimately depends on the orginal recording process, the speaker setup, the room acoustics and the bidule used.
Tantulus: Think you made a key statement here, so I am re-quoting it. A big deal depends in fact on the original recording and how it was mixed . As a matter of fact, I know some repurposing experts, who use LP's as source, just because they contain the 'right' mix for what they want to do. Now I'm not suggesting to use LP's as source, but I think it makes the point.

As to the AmpIn and AmpOut settings with the HNM filter, I am sorry I cannot really help, as I never use an LFE, and if it is part of a bidules, I just rely on the settings published. I simply think there is too much danger of "things going wrong", unless of course one knows exactly what one does.

To quote from recent posting from the QuadrophonicQuad forum, from a guy I highly respect for his knowledge:

Quote:
The biggest problem with nearly all of the DTS-CD's is that they are home cooked, and essentially qualify as bootlegs.
If the person who did the original transfer was working on, say, PC speakers or HiFi speakers then they used an inaccurate monitoring environment, and as the studio saying goes "If you can't hear it you can't mix it".
Another big area for error is the extensive use of the LFE channel as a sub channel, when it is by definition a completely different thing.
The Sub channel exists to extend the bass response in systems that do not have 5 full range monitors/speakers, and NOT as a subwoofer.
When you start encoding music with an LFE channel, you run the following risks.

A/. The end user has not set things up correctly, and that pumpimg bass just isn't there.

B/. You can never know all the crossover frequencies that end user sub/sattelite systems use, so phase cancellation is a big problem. There is also the reverse of this, and what is piped to the LFE may well add to what is already in the bass end of the main speakers, giving the "bass heavy" problem you describe

C/. (The most common) the system for playback is simply not properly calibrated, the sub is too loud, the balances between all the other 5 channels are phase delayed & comb filtered and the result is an unpredictable bloody mess.

D/. There is a bass management setting on the AV amp, and it is conflicting with what is piped to the LFE Channel.

E/. Incorrect crossover frequency set in the DTS conversion. In an ideal world, you do not use the LFE but instead use an LFE splitter to emulate the effects of Bass Management. Set the X-Over to 80Hz and the slope to 24dB/Octave, or even steeper if possible. Never, ever encode with the LFE active unless you know that your monitoring environment is 100% accurate & properly calibrated. And only then with extreme caution.

In short, do not use the LFE channel unless you are doing film scores or the 1812 overture, and trust to the Bass Management in the AV amps to sort everything out. It is what it is there for.
Kind regards,

Andreas