View Single Post
Old 29th May 2004, 00:10   #503  |  Link
ursamtl

SIR delay compensation groups added to FTP

Hi,

I've just added a zip file containing three SIR delay compensation groups to the FTP server and to my web page at www.geocities.com/ursamtl.

This zip file contains three Plogue Bidule groups I've created as alternatives to loading dummy instances of SIR in your bidules to compensate for its sample delay of 8960 (in SIR v.1005). The savings in CPU usage can be significant, ranging from 5-10%

SIRDelComp2 provides 2 channels in and out with a 8960-sample delay on each. This replaces one dummy instance of SIR
SIRDelComp4 provides 4 channels in and out with a 8960-sample delay on each. This replaces two dummy instances of SIR
SIRDelComp4+2 also provides 4 channels in and out with a 8960-sample delay on each, plus 2 channels directly through (pins 5 & 6) for those who want 5.1 channels on one neat bar. For example, L, R, C, LFE, might have delay compensation with channels 5&6 connected to one instance of SIR elsewhere in the bidule.

When I conducted tests on my PC (Athlon Thunderbird 1.1GHz), the results were as follows:
Average CPU usage
-----------------
1 SIR with stereo impulse + 1 dummy SIR: 28%
1 SIR with stereo impulse + 2 dummy SIRs: 32%
1 SIR with stereo impulse + SIRDelComp2: 20%
1 SIR with stereo impulse + SIRDelComp4: 22%
1 SIR with stereo impulse + SIRDelComp4+2: 22%
2 SIRs with stereo impulse + SIRDelComp2: 27%
2 SIRs with stereo impulse + 1 dummy SIR: 33%

Although I did no testing of memory usage, obviously there should be some saving given that SIR is 1.6MB and the groups are a few KB!

Enjoy,
UrsaMtl