View Single Post
Old 11th April 2003, 16:47   #4  |  Link
Arky

Re: Re: Well well well... Sonic have, themselves, slashed $300 off the price of ReelDVD..

Quote:
Originally posted by auenf

now, how do i run DVD Studio Pro on my athlon XP?

Enf...
I've often contemplated whether or not it'd be worth the hassle of me 'finding' Studio Pro just to see if it'll run under Windows, using MAC emulation software, but it could be a heck of a lot of hard work for a heck of a lot of disappointment.

Regarding the Spruce Team working flat out to pre-empt a Windows contender to Studio Pro, I think you may be right, but if this is, indeed, the case, I'd be interested to know if it'll be a cross-platform venture or not. Probably not, but there was a good discussion about this a couple of years ago on the old Flexion forums, where I posted a link to a MAC users forum (not specifically related to Spruce being bought by Apple, although this had only just happened at the time), the contents of the link relating to the possibility of Apple venturing into the Windows market by developing applications to be available in both M$ and MAC flavours. This would be a massive gamble by Apple, because it would perhaps send mixed messages out to the MAC faithful. There again, it might improve Apple's shareprice by allowing them to profit from Windows users. Steve Jobs is a very, very ruthless businessman (in some respects, I reckon he's more ruthless than Bill Gates), so I would not choose to gamble on him playing things safe! I'm not saying I actually think Apple are going to do anything like this with the Spruce Team's talents, but those of you who know me will also know that I am fond of a speculating!

To speculate further, but on the Sonic side of things, I am glad they have brought the price of ReelDVD down to a reachable level for the enthusiast. It raises another question though - if ReelDVD is no longer to be the $1,000+ contender from the Sonic stable, and given that the DVD-authoring software market is heating up, just what are Sonic planning for the $1,000+ level? I seriously don't believe that they are going to leave that end of the market empty, particularly as they have held it for so long with ReelDVD in the past, and that they are the single-biggest DVD-authoring software developer in the world. Add to that, the fact that they must be painfully aware of the damage DVD Studio Pro is doing to their business in the $1,000+ sector. It will be interesting to see what features they will add to the ReelDVD 'chassis' to compete with Studio Pro, yet without undermining Scenarist, which still costs a massive amount more.

I'd like to hear people's views on this.

Arky ;o)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote