View Single Post
Old 17th October 2011, 18:46   #44  |  Link
Robert Martens

Thanks for the clip! More test footage is always useful, I appreciate it.

With that clip I find, however, only the expected amount of slight cropping, and using the 720pbox size option works the way I'd expect it to without any extra settings specified.

Choosing the appropriate aspect ratio for the input is somewhat problematic, however, and I can't make it any more reliable than it already is; some cameras record DV at 720x480 or 720x576 treating the image as exactly 4:3, but as I understand it that's incorrect. The active area (same height but a width of about 704) is 4:3, but the full width of 720 makes the picture 15:11, which is very slightly wider, and will necessarily have its sides cropped off for output that's 4:3.

There's no way to tell which way a given piece of footage was shot, and I had to pick one or the other default AR for the input detection part of the script. It's a toss up from my perspective, but I'm operating under the assumption that most of the prosumer cameras used by the script's intended audience record a 15:11 frame, so that's the one I chose.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote