View Single Post
Old 8th January 2004, 18:44   #44  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I really need to move some of my answers to the first post, in an FAQ section. Will do shortly. In the meantime:

@iwod: Is the new PP included in RealPlayer 10? Or is it still currently being developed?
If you are asking about the minor improvement to add back some high frequency spatial information.. sorry, not complete in time to be included.

@CruNcher: hehe i don't know what to think about this marketing gag
I rather liked my RV9-EHQ name , but marketing wanted to collect all the new developments into one main '10' release. It is also RealNetworks' 10 year anniversary coming up.

@Sirber: Can we still use the number if EHQ instead of his name and don't bother with this RV9/RV10 thing?
Yes, when Helix Producer 10 is available, do change to using 'rv10' as the codec name in the audience file. Like I mentioned, without any encoding complexity, you will then get RV9-EHQ @ 85. The cleanest and preferred method is to use 'rv10' + high, medium, or low encoding complexity (-eco switch to Producer)

@satori: Realnetworks will rerease tools to convert RA10 to AAC or mp4?
No, but I am sure someone else will. Gabest is working on a splitter update right now. For Gold, I think RP 10 will rip to .aac as well, but this has not been finally decided yet.

Please say your boss DO NOT ask mail adress and personal info at the end of install realplayer. I hate real want to collect personal info.I always put fake adress and info.
Yes, me too, and most others, but RealNetworks has to generate revenue somehow. RealPlayer is its main instrument for this, and we need to document the number of users. Use fake info if you like.

@LiFe: Too bad level 2 partners don't get betas. I'm sure there's plenty of crap I could complain about before it went gold
I am sure too, but it's available for free for everyone here:
http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=d9
This is for Windows only, for now, top link, the others are older versions.
Linux playback of the latest formats is via the open source Helix Player.

@bond: SDK availability?
Not sure. will let you know.

Oh, on slashdot this morning, there was the usual flurry of negative responses to kforeman's Real 10 announcement, where he even referred to Doom9 : "In developing RealVideo 10, our codec team has been working closely with the Doom9 community".

I posted this reply, but it was probably too late to be read by most

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 9th January 2004 at 00:34.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote