View Single Post
Old 10th August 2018, 11:17   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well, all legal videos come in one of these 3 codecs M2TS support (from own camcorder to satellite and terrestrial broadcasting streams).
M2TS support a hell lot more audio codecs than MP4, which appears to be the latest craze (Audio: MPEG-4 Part 3, AAC, MP3, MP2, MP1), none of them being lossless. MPç seems to be the favourite for streaming not least because it is fundamentally lossy (bandwidth saving).
And MKV I've read here somewhere may have troubles with TrueHD on some players.

The evolution of MKV and the playback compatibility I might have missed - but so far I intend not to upgrade my deviices, since all new stuff is infected with cinavia (so far restricted to optical discs), and they do not support anything than basic features of MKV. Maybe later. The only advantage MKV has over M2TS is the better packing algorithm, however at the expense of playback errors (of course, should they come).

As for the re-encoding preference of the OP to save 0.0002€ per movie in terms of storage, he should be properly advised to do this during winter, the CPU heat will have beneficial side-effects for his home.

He can do whatever he wants, of course. MKV is really a good competitor, and I really wanted it to be truly an alternative, like FLAC did it. Remember the DivX story? DivX was not introduced in the players until Macrovision took the steer and licensed it - the manufacturers were happy to pay the fees, because they had finally a set of specs on which they could rely, instead of a free but chaotic billion-branched versions of "free" Divx (free as in Microsoft had no time to chase programmers one by one for infringing her patented algorithms).