View Single Post
Old 11th October 2006, 04:17   #14  |  Link
csnet

Quote:
I don't quite understand all your connection schemes above, but from what I can see, the switchbox is an external device, right? Now, I suspect it does some "looping" because I see the 'fade to black' thing when a loop in the equipment is made, i.e. two VCRs have connected both inputs to outputs and vice versa or, on a modern computer, TVOut->VCR->Capture card of the same computer (and VCR tuned to see the output of the TVOut card).
All those connections work with normal signals, but I was not going to even think about putting the ZX-81 anywhere near that maze. lol.

All the ZX-81 tests were done with equipment disconnected from the "maze" so the test would not be influenced by the loops you mention.

Quote:
The successsor to ZX81 (a.k.a. ZX Spectrum or, I believe, Timex) had a built in RF modulator (wee, colour!), but also a composite signal could be pulled out of the edge-connector (just soldering 2 wires), and I (vaguely) remember recording it to VCR and/or displaying it on a pretty demanding/tight composite monitor, so I guess that signal was all right. But I highly doubt the same could be hacked on the ZX81. My guess would be that you would most likely need some kind of TBC.
Brings back memories! Looks like the TBC is the only solution for the ZX-81's odd RF signal for any kind of direct usage. I wonder if anyone ever rents PCI cards? Somehow, they would have to do it for love not money.

If nothing else, I will set up a Canon Elura 100 Camcorder on a tripod, point it at the flat screen TV screen, record to a Mini-DV tape in the camera, firewire it into the computer to a file, and call it a day.

I have no shame.
csnet is offline   Reply With Quote