View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 11:47   #9014  |  Link
hello_hello

Sorry, I usually encode using CRF18, the slow preset and film tuning, and let the bitrate be what it needs to be.
My last 720p encode came in at 1421 kb/s, but it was easy to compress animation.

You could try grafun3() from DitherTools at the end of your scripts. In fact you should, maybe more-so for low bitrate encoding. It converts the video to 16 bit, does some gradient smoothing, and then dithers back to 8 bit. It can reduce existing color banding and help prevent the encoder from creating it. I think when I've compared encodes with and without it in the past, including it tends to reduce the bitrate for a give CRF value a little. Not by much, but every bit helps.

I forgot to mention, if you try the above VFR method, once you loaded an analysis script into MeGUI and run it, don't load it into MeGUI again until it's edited to make it the encoding script. If you do, MeGUI will check the script is okay when you load it into the video section and TIVTC will erase the metrics files, so you'll have to run the analysis pass again. It doesn't take long, but it's annoying. If you follow TFM & TDecimate with other filtering in the script, comment it out for the analysis pass too, so as not to slow it down.

I just realised there were a couple of TFM options in my example that were specific to the encode I was doing. I've edited my previous post to remove them

Last edited by hello_hello; 24th May 2020 at 11:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote