View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2006, 17:03   #14  |  Link
jmac698

impedance, oversampling

Quote:
tedkunich: Depending on the circuit design, the change in impedance seen by the output amplifier or the input amplifiers could possibly affect the circuits response over its range of frequencies introducing phase delays, which could appear as color offsets or smearing.
Ok, that make sense. I can use a test pattern for relative chroma delay to test it, or even better, the same frequency sweep in Y and U/V to see if there's a difference when using the Y splitter. I did notice changes in signal strength, which was taken out by a simple brightness adjustment.
Quote:
tedkunich: I have assumed that in all of these discussions we have been refering to your ordinary BT848
I have one I can test, and see what the freq. response is. Anyhow, in my test results I found >1.6 times the freq. response with my technique.
Quote:
tedkunich: I believe that you are confused by the 2x oversampling nomenclature - what they are doing is using a device that is capable of sampling at 2x faster than the highest frequency that they anticipate (i.e. input << Nyquist for that device) and then bandwidth limit the result in the digital domain.
I agree, why did you think I was confused? Because I said something about the sharpening? Actually, I didn't read the sharpening feature too closely, and you are probably right about the peaking. I understand about digital filters.
Quote:
tedkunich: I'd be willing to bet that Conexant put a filter on each of the inputs
A diagram shows an optional pi filter (I think), I could type the values into a program to see what kind of filter it is, but probably a lowpass somewhere between 7 and 14MHz. The implication is that if the optional circuit is shown, it's certainly not included in the chip. I don't see a problem with this, it's fairly valid to assume a signal is bandpass limited (in this case!). Also, with sigma-delta converters, filtering isn't used either usually (I'm thinking audio adcs here), because the 1-bit sample rate is so high. That's not the case here, though, it's just a standard flash converter.

Anyhow, did you look at my tests? I don't think cables cause my smearing problem. I'll have to take a picture to show you, and see if you can't replicate it.

I'm starting to think now that the svideo itself is mostly the problem, and maybe my outputs aren't 4:4:4 afterall, but it doesn't matter as there's a significant beneift to avoiding svideo anyhow.

Last edited by jmac698; 2nd March 2006 at 17:21.
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote