View Single Post
Old 28th July 2018, 16:38   #90  |  Link
bradwiggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
FWIW I downloaded the source clip and converted it to double fps using 3 different settings:

The first conversion was plain jm_fps using default settings.
The second one used mx_fps (a mod of FrameRateConverter by MysteryX which adds artifact masking). I also used "DCT=1".
The third one also used mx_fps, but I also changed the default block size of 16 to 32.

Download here:
https://www.zeta-uploader.com/40449651

A few remarks about the source:
It seems to come from the Apple world, I had some problems to convert the VFR video to CFR without loosing audio sync. All my AviSynth source filters failed, only FFmpeg could do it. I needed to convert the HD source to SD, my slow computer does not like HD...

All the conversion results cannot handle the snow flakes, but at least to my eyes they all look pretty good. This is probably all you can get from MVTools based interpolators.

Cheers
manolito
Quote:
It seems to come from the Apple world
You are correct, it is from iTunes. How were you able to tell, are the VFR issues common with apple?

Do you need to convert it to CFR before interpolation?

I wouldn't worry too much about the snowflakes, I remember people in the youtube comments of the video saying that the snow still looked 24fps, you don't really notice as your eyes focus past the snow on the scene behind. The snow effects normally get interpolated, but the snow that is just falling to the ground normally doesn't.

Would a blu ray movie interpolate better than an iTunes movie? Also does the resolution matter. I am using the 720p version, would the 1080p version interpolate better ?

Last edited by bradwiggo; 28th July 2018 at 16:41.
bradwiggo is offline   Reply With Quote