View Single Post
Old 10th May 2005, 06:37   #37  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Beta 12 is available now.

Changes:
- Introduced the "extend right and left" feature, which allows you to take disjoint characters as one. Technical details follow . It only lets you do it once, so you can't get more than 2 disjoint parts together. Don't abuse it, once you designate a character as part of such a pair, it will always be considered as such, and all subsequent pairs which contain it will need to be typed in manually. For example, if you set "in" as a group of letters, any time "i" shows up, SubRip will ask you for the pair of characters that "i" is part of, like "it", "im" and so on. This behavior is flipped if the first part of a pair ("i") is encountered at the end of a line, at which point it is overwritten as a single char, and all subsequent pairs will not be recognized until another flip is performed by setting it again as part of a pair.

I know, this sounds complicated, but I think it's easy to use. If someone from Israel can please test this with right-to-left processing, it would be great to get some feedback (I did my best, but I have no idea if it does what it's supposed to do).

- Improved the video recognizing routine, and added an option to draw lines between the text lines, to erase stray points. Its parameters are set manually, but if applied, it greatly improves the accuracy of the results. It pretty much solved the problems I had before, but it's still best to use just plain characters, instead of trying to use italics and other styles.

As specified in my previous post, the only other thing I think is worth doing right now is finding another way to play videos, to support all the formats (.ogm, .vob and so on). If I find the appropriate component, I will put it in. Otherwise, I won't have much time for other features.

While the routines are not as advanced as in AviSubDetector, and some manual tweaking is required (for example when the subtitle color and/or position change), I think the ease of use will make SubRip a good choice for ripping subtitles from hard-subbed videos.

It would be nice if someone made a tutorial on how to use the new features. I really don't have the time, and I think that if someone else makes it, it would be an opportunity to check thoroughly for functional problems. Any volunteers? Please send me an email or reply here.

Last edited by ai4spam; 10th May 2005 at 07:43.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote