View Single Post
Old 11th April 2006, 17:08   #798  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I didn never intend to match all priority classes.. 3 are way more than enough.. I even think this shouldn't be selectable because idle is the way to go. Anything else, if you get lower encoding speed you have too much crap running on your PC. On my machine, process priority has a negligible effect on encoding speed if I don't touch the machine (and if I touch it, I absolutely must have idle as I want to use the PC.. not fall asleep in front of it)

Jobs are started at the priority you have in the settings.. you can change a job's priority (that's a dynamic and not stored property) during encoding, but that only applies to the current encoder process.. when the next job is started, it defaults to priority set in the settings again. This is exactly how other popular programs do it, for instance... drumroll please... Virtualdub. Offering two ways to do the same thing will confuse people, hence that priority selector in the status window will always only influence the process that's currently active.