View Single Post
Old 30th May 2018, 23:04   #51118  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Just a short comment while still having piles of commercial work on my desk:

Thanks to my great Nvidia driver contact, I managed to get a fix for 1080p23 timings into newer driver versions. So stock 1080p23 timings should be much better now with newer drivers, probably also for 3D. I know, the newest drivers come with their own problems, so many are still using older driver versions. But JFYI...
Just tested 397.93, and I have good news and bad news:

Good news is that your friend delivered (partly) in 1080p23 for 3D (I didn't test 2D). I now get 13min between frame drops, which is a significant improvement compared to the 3min of previous drivers (at least those I had tested).

Bad news is that the levels are still borked (both in SDR and HDR), however I found why I have the issue and many others don't: the levels are only borked in 12bits, not in 8bits. So it looks like between the banding in passthrough and the borked levels, nVidia shows little love for their 12bits setting.

You would think that the solution is easy: use 8bits in the GPU... Well, that works fine for 2D and 3D SDR, unfortunately Passthrough HDR is borked in 8bits on the JVCs (not in 12bits!) and you get at all refresh rates (at least in UHD) the magenta bug that I only have on 4K60p with previous drivers. The only way to get rid of it is, like with the 4K60 magenta bug, is to disable the "send HDR metadata", which as you know is a no no for me until we get the ability to switch HDR profiles according to max brightness with pixel shader, as the Vertex relies on this to select my custom curve. It is, however, a viable workaround for those whose display doesn't need HDR Metadata.

So pick your poison:

385.28: everything works but 1 frame drop every 3mn in 3D.

397.93: better 3D (13min between frame drops), Asio4all compatibility still broken, levels still borked in 12bits (at least with the JVCs), HDR passthrough borked on JVCs in 8bits.

Aaaargh!

Thanks a lot for your efforts and your friends though, but I'm back to 385.28 if I don't find a way to get rid of the magenta bug in 8bits, at least until I can switch to pixel shader.

397.93 is probably 100% good news for non JVC users who don't care about Asio4All.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
@Manni
I have not seen a lot of information on using the HDR->SDR options for a standard 1080p HDTV and doing 2160p->1080p.

I don't have fancy calibration equipment and the likes but from all the things you have learned with all the discussion, what would you class as a good standard for HDR->SDR with the latest MadVR, as the more I read the more it seemed to jump between person to person, which I get, but it does seem to be a grey area.
I'll let others reply. The AVS thread is indeed reserved to ongoing work on MadVR's HDR to SDR conversion with pixel shader for projectors, and it's not a support thread for MadVR projector users either, at least not at this stage, as it's a work in progress. HDR10 is a grey area because there is no standard and every display is different. HDR to SDR, when done well, is the same as HDR. It's just that the source (MadVR here) does the conversion instead of the display. But provided you use the correct settings, it can look as good or better than the HDR mode on the display.

So I suggest you post your display model and hope that someone can make suggestions for you.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 31st May 2018 at 10:38.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote