View Single Post
Old 13th November 2005, 09:51   #20  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Why don't you two guys discuss and work together? Rather than releasing separate versions? This is duplication of work and also confusing for the users.
I'm working on this code since 4 years, at some point I might have to consider making it a real open source project working with svn. Two days after the release it is to early too plan such a big step.

There would also be the possibility to add a plugin system but doing this right takes much expertise and effort. DVX had such a system but it was very poorly designed. Additionally to a complex plugin system I would have to write a lot wrapper code for all things that should be pluggable (e.g. adaper pattern because of serialization). There is other problems besides complexity (which already scares me a lot) e.g. such systems are build with a techique called reflection and often additionally xml which are both core concepts in .NET but both add a performance ovehead.

Quote:
Would be nice: No Java requirement.
I knew it was coming , Java is asked for if ProjectX is needed which is a the default value of the default project. You can customize the default project (Options/Preparer, File/Save Default Project). I have to change this because I know how scary Java and .NET can be.

Quote:
Would be nicer: No .NET 2.0 requirement. At the least, people should start doing what nuhi over at nliteos.com did with nLite; packing a tiny (compared to the install size of .NET 2.0 (over 140mbs) archive with the required library files so the program works without installing .NET onto your system.
Did you try VB .NET Express 2005, for me VB .NET is the only reasonable tool and I've seen and worked with quite a few. Get it here, it's free!

@bratao

Download doesn't work, I've noticed the path contains blanks which might be the reason.

Last edited by stax76; 13th November 2005 at 10:31.