View Single Post
Old 1st December 2009, 21:58   #1  |  Link
Guilllo

Video not transcodable using Mencoder

Hi all!

I have a very annoying problem because I can't really see why it does NOT work as it should.

I have a video which comes from Adobe Premiere Pro (edited from a JVC hd camera). It has been exported in Microsoft DV at 29.97 fps, interlaced.

I am trying to transcode it with mencoder but the output has a "hanging problem". Let me explain :

There is a fading in of a text, than a fading out. everything is smooth in the source file. But when I encode it in xvid or x264 or mpeg4 with libavcodec, the fade-out hangs for 1 second. An exception though : the first pass of x264 shows smooth playback but the second one has the same problem as xvid.

Moreover the next scene shows smoke. Even at 2500kbps with xvid the video out is highly blocky. I am sure what I am saying is not clear at all so :

here are my commands :

Code:
mencoder Séquence\ 02.avi -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=2:bitrate=1500:turbo=1:bframes=3:b_adapt:cabac:weight_b:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:subq=9:chroma_me:trellis=1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128  -o test.avi
for x264 and :

Code:
mencoder Séquence\ 02.avi  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:bitrate=1500:me_quality=6:qpel:gmc:trellis:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:vhq=4 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -o test.avi
for xvid.

I don't know what's not goàd in my parameters or in the source video but it works great with both x264 and xvid are smooth after encoding with avidemux2.

I would like to get a deinterlaced file with good quality at ~1500kbps

And as an example is better than words, please try these samples files :

source file

xvid encoded

Note : - mencoder warns me about a lot of duplicate frames where it hangs in playback.
- I have tried with -vf kerndeint to deinterlace but output is not smooth neither

Last edited by Guilllo; 1st December 2009 at 22:11.
Guilllo is offline   Reply With Quote