View Single Post
Old 16th May 2023, 05:26   #13  |  Link
HD MOVIE SOURCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
I just wanted to point out, one last time, the danger of your QP-approach when vbv limited. Its very bad to make decisions based on the average; low values will look indistinguishable to each other, so you can get results were get noticeable worse results on some sequences but still lowering the average just cause a big portion of the video gets a slightly lower value, a portion that already achieved transparency. This will be especially true once you start to encode stuff that have segments that are actually hard to compress, and were you dont have any bandwith headroom, so if you dont plan doing very custom per-title-encoding, please at least use a more worst case source and if you wanna use QP as a metric for these kinds of decisions use the stats file so you can analyze the spread and look at the highs. Like on that SoL encode, I was actually able to spot the CU-boundry boxes issue without any zooming shenanigans, I even saw it on a "normal" frame that didnt have any crazy complexity to it, it was just a scenecut change... But in the end, if you are encoding for yourself, and if you are happy, good for you, but I woudlnt pass anything with this issue as a quality encode at this bandwidth, and it woudlnt (shoudlnt) pass QC.

Anyway, I think I already made most of the points I was trying to make, so Im gonna drop out here as it doesnt seem to be very productive as it seems like we are going circles. But I do agree that quality during normal playback is most important, and not stills, but that doesnt mean that stills are a bad tool for analysis, and SoL can be very much encoded at the same level of sharpness without those CU-boarders.
How do you improve the CU-boundry issue and how do you spot it?
HD MOVIE SOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote