View Single Post
Old 18th November 2015, 10:59   #34308  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
...If it were just the problems with a flat luma channel, I might invest the work to detect that situation and switch to a different algo in that case. But the inappropriate "edge filling" which sometimes occurs is a problem that I don't know how to solve. Which is why I haven't tried to improve Bilateral chroma upscaling yet. Maybe Shiandow has some ideas there? I'm not sure if anything can be done there, though. Maybe it's not possible to solve the inappropriate "edge filling" without removing all the benefits Bilateral has in other situations....
Do you happen to have some screenshots lying around that show some of the mentioned problems? Personally I absolutely love the bilateral chroma upscaling from madVR in the screenshot comparisons I did some months ago, especially when you take into account the very low performance cost. I took some examples from recorded Amiga games (lots of pixelation), real world stuff (movies, TV shows and very old video camera recordings) and also artificially created graphics from the PC demo scene.

I found some research on the web about an adaptive bilateral upscaling filter implementation, maybe you can use or at the very least borrow some ideas (if you don't know the paper already):
http://www.interdigital.com/research...age_upsampling (direct download)

Apart from NNEDI3 even the simple bilateral upscaler is definitely my favourite chroma upscaler.

Last edited by iSunrise; 18th November 2015 at 11:07.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote